Tocai Friulano / Pinot Grigio
Light bodied white wine, gently aromatic with palate cleansing fruit acid. A good aperitif or first course wine.
- Foods – Poached or sautéed chicken, white fleshed fish, turkey, quail or pheasant, summer fruits, and antipasto.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Light, creamy lemon sauces, chervil, lemon zest, ginger, chives.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Snow peas, baby lettuces, melon, summer fruits.
- Menu Recommendations – Prosciutto and melon, goat cheese tart, antipasto platter, roast turkey with fruit chutney, quail salad, scallop and ginger salad.
Fumé Blanc / Sauvignon Blanc
Light-bodied, dry white wine with grassy citrus notes and slight oak character. Serve with light herbal and/or tangy foods to complement or contrast with slight oiliness, richness or delicate creaminess.
- Foods – Poached, sautéed or lightly grilled chicken, fish, shellfish, vegetables, light or delicate salads, soups or pasta.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Cilantro, chives, parsley, dill, chervil, shallots, tomato vinaigrette, lemon or herb sauces.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Bell peppers, fresh tomatoes, peas, asparagus, celery, artichokes, and lettuce.
- Menu Recommendations – Poached or lightly grilled seafood with slightly piquant sauces, vegetable-based appetizers, goat cheese, sautéed fish with fresh salsa or herb butter, oysters, fried calamari, spring rolls, appetizers.
Medium-bodied, rich white wine with smokey, vanilla, oak flavors. Lighter styles are crisper and less complex.
- Foods – Seafood with rich sauces, pasta with creamy sauces, smoked salmon, sauces with lemon accents, creamy soups, and seafood salads.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Basil, saffron, flavored olive oils, seasoned or herb butters, pesto, creamy or buttery sauces with lemon accents.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Corn, mushrooms, olives.
- Menu Recommendations – Grilled chicken or veal with herb butter, scallops with chardonnay basil sauce, crab cakes, risotto, prawns with tomato, olive and garlic, mozzarella and summer tomato salad, Caesar salad, fried calamari, lobster, grilled swordfish or salmon.
Malvasia Bianca / Riesling
Light-bodied, slightly sweet white wine with fruit accents and balanced fruit acids. An aperitif, first course, or summer BBQ wine. Complements lighter-style foods. Serve well chilled.
- Foods – Poached or lightly sautéed chicken, fish or vegetables.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Ginger, lemon and orange zest, chervil.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Snow peas, beam sprouts, and summer fruits.
- Menu Recommendations – Chinese chicken salad, melon, prosciutto and fresh fruit.
Medium-bodied red wine with berry fruitiness and earthiness. Complements medium to full-bodied foods and moderately robust flavors.
- Foods – Lamb, grilled red meats, roast chicken, duck, pork, game birds, salmon, hearty pastas and Italian style pasta with tomato sauce.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Basil, oregano, garlic, cooked tomato sauces, mushroom sauces, pasta dishes, and spicy herb sauces.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Root vegetables, mushrooms, tomatoes, cherries.
- Menu Recommendations – Roast chicken or duck, grilled tuna, salmon or swordfish. Rack of lamb and ratatouille, lasagna, jambalaya, foccacia, tortellini with garlic and parmesan, grilled quail, grilled sausages, enchiladas, black bean soup.
Medium-bodied, red wine, high acid with berry-like fruit. Pairs well with medium-bodied foods.
- Foods – A pleasing contrast to creamy, spicy pasta dishes and hearty cheeses.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Basil, garlic, aioli and spicy (not hot) herb sauces.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Roast vegetables, mushrooms, ripe tomatoes, cherries.
- Menu Recommendations – Roast beef, leg of lamb, orzo pasta with creamy cherry tomato sauce, roasted root vegetables.
Merlot / Sangiovese
Medium-bodied, deep red wine with luscious, full flavor. Complements foods that are rich and hearty with a natural softness or sweetness.
- Foods – Duck, pork, lamb, beef, turkey, roast chicken, hearty cheeses, and pasta with meat sauce.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Balsamic vinegar, thyme, and orange zest.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Peppers, cherries.
- Menu Recommendations – Roast turkey, roast pork loin, beef and lamb stews and roast duck, French onion soup, aged cheeses.
Full-bodied, dark red wine with blackberry and pepper notes – expressive fruit character. Complements hearty, spicy foods.
- Foods – Grilled red meats, pastas, pizza, ribs and hearty winter dishes cooked with tomato sauce.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Cooked tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and rich meat sauces with garlic, rosemary, sage, oregano.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, mushrooms.
- Menu Recommendations – Grilled or barbecued meats, pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, grilled sausages, cassoulet, French onion soup, eggplant, parmesan, leg of lamb.
Full-bodied, tannic red wine with rich but austere fruit and excellent acid-tannin balance. Complements richer, heavier foods where the wine doesn’t overpower the flavor.
- Foods – Grilled and roasted beef or venison, aged cheeses, meaty, full-bodied flavored foods, game meats (i.e. duck).
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Rosemary, bay leaf, sage, garlic, and red wine sauces.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Peppers, eggplant, green beans, mushrooms, black currants.
- Menu Recommendations – Roast beef, rack of lamb, grilled red meats, aged cheeses, roast duck, leg of lamb.
Light, sweet, white dessert wine. Complements desserts that aren’t too sweet or rich.
- Foods – Light fruit or lemon desserts.
- Sauces, Herbs and Seasonings – Mint, lemon and orange zest, raspberry sauce.
- Vegetables and Fruit – Berries, summer fruits.
- Menu Recommendations – Fruit tarts, fresh fruit plates, sorbets.
Copyright 2004. Martignetti Companies All Rights Reserved.